Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sad Commentary on Society

So last week (Friday) I went to church with my daughter for Stations of the Cross.  After the service I was talking to priest and a lady stepped between us and said to me, "Thank you for not aborting your child."  Well I looked over her shoulder to see the look on Fr.'s face - it was one of shock and awe and I think there might have been a twinkle of "how is she going to handle this one..." (he is a little ornery sometimes).  Well I looked back at her and as gently and kindly as I could muster while being as shocked as possible, I responded by saying, "While she was a little bit of a surprise, she is and was very much wanted and loved.  My husband and I are truly blessed to have her."  To which Fr.'s face turned to one of awe and love (and there might have been a little bit of a tear forming since he was aware of our struggles with carrying a baby to full term).  She mumbled something about thinking I was a teenage mom because I looked so young.  I told her my age.  She didn't believe me.  Fr. reassured her that I was in fact at least as old as I claimed (he tried to add a year or so onto my age!)

So...fast forward a week to last night.  I took my daughter to Saturday evening mass because I had to work Saturday night and didn't really feel like getting up a couple hours after I had got home from work to attempt to be functional during mass.  My husband was at work and had just got off work as I was leaving the house and he was in no condition to go to mass with me (really tired, kinda stinky, etc), so again I went to church without him (he'll go in the morning when he is good and rested)...  THE SAME LADY comes up to me after mass and tells me how cute my daughter is (yeah, I know but it is nice to hear, and I thanked her).  The she proceeds to tell me about her son and how she doesn't have any grand-kids.  I think I mumbled something about how unfortunate that is (I am trying to hit the door so I can drop my daughter off at home to play with her dad and so I can get to work on time).  Then she proceeds to attempt to set me up with him.  I reminded her that I am married and have been for almost six years and that this child that she was admiring is in fact his.  Oh yeah, and her son is 52 years old.  I am 28!

So my reflections upon this:

1.  It is sad that people seem to think that mothers need to be thanked for not aborting their kid.  It should be a shock to the system that moms would consider killing their child, not the other way around.  Kids are a blessing, not a burden!

2.  I sometimes hate being so short.  I get associated with teenagers a lot more often than I want to admit.  While it has been about a year since I was given the kids' menu at a restaurant, I do have a "young" looking face and short stature!  Grrr.......

3.  Gee... lady.... last week you think I am a teenage mom.  This week you think I look old enough to date your son who is my mom's age.  Did I really look that bad at mass?  I asked a co-worker if I looked that rough, and she said I looked the same as I usually do.  (Then a few comments about my height and charming teenager looks were added for good measure!)

4.  Maybe I need to go to church with my husband so this lady doesn't keep talking to me.  I think she thinks he is a figment of my imagination.  He is in fact very real and a great dad to our daughter!  Back off lady, I am not interested in your son!

No comments:

Post a Comment