Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The only good thing about summer is...

BASEBALL!!!!

I am intolerant of heat.  I hate being hot.  I whine, I moan, I complain, and every family member I have knows that I don't like the summer.  My favorite season is winter.  Spring and Fall are nice when it is under 80 degrees (preferably under 75).  That being said, the only good thing about summer (well Spring to Fall really) starts with baseball spring training and comes to a sad conclusion at the World Series!

I should probably back this post up a little and say there is a MAJOR stereotypical role reversal going on in our house.  My husband is the better cook.  I cook because I have to eat (and usually it is pretty simple meals.)  He doesn't just cook, he creates.  He reads cooking books for fun.  He owns cooking things I don't even know how to operate.  I love sports.  I obsessively follow my teams.  I have a favorite college football team.  (My husband roles his eyes)  There is a major obsession with my favorite college basketball team that probably needs therapeutic guidance.  (He calls it pumpkin pounding and discourages our daughter from watching it)  But the one that my husband is willing to tolerate is my love of the local baseball team.  I don't follow professional football or basketball because I think they are a bunch of over paid pansies, but for some reason that hatred does not filter over into baseball.  I love going to the professional games.  Maybe it is the slow pace.  Maybe it is the food.  Maybe it is the good company one has while sitting watching, or maybe it is because the college baseball teams around here usually are not that great.  Whatever the reason, starting in about 2 weeks there will be a game on 5 nights a week and Sunday afternoons.  While I might only attend one or two games at the stadium, I will watch a large chunk of the games on TV.  And hopefully my husband will join me and my daughter in this practice.  I hope to not only teach her to love the games, but to be a good sport when playing them.  I already know she is a fan of baseball - whether she realizes it or not.

You see I found out I was pregnant with her in late winter/early Spring.  I already had a trip to Chicago to visit a few friends planned for April of that year, so naturally I took her with me.  (It wasn't like we could be separated!)  I was just starting the first week of my second trimester when I landed in Chicago.  One of the things I wanted to do when I was in Chicago was to go to a game.  I didn't really care if it was the Cubs or the White Sox.  Well only the White Sox were in town when I was there, so we went to the Sox vs the Indians game.  Well I didn't feel movement per se (it was too early for that), but I could feel some intermittent pressure when I would get excited or laughing too hard at things my friends were saying.  Nothing to make me too concerned, but I think it was her way of showing she was enjoying my happiness at the situation.  Since it was sooooo unbelievably and intolerably hot last summer, I spent more than my fair share of time laying on the bed under the ceiling fan watching baseball.  I would talk to my daughter about the games.  She could hear me cheering for the team.  I even think she heard her daddy cheering them on at times.  Fast forward to the end of the season.  My team had no chance of making it to the World Series.  I was aware of that.  My husband has some family that are diehard Cards fans.  I have some friends who bleed Cardinal red as well.  So I jumped on the bandwagon.  My team was done, so I started to enjoy a team that had a chance.  (Hey, don't judge me! It allowed me to enjoy the game for a few more weeks!)  Well I was at the end of my pregnancy.  I would walk around a local park and lake to try to coax her out....didn't work.  I did just about everything short of castor oil (I have my limits) to try to get her out.  The only time I got good contractions was during the world series games.  Starting with game 3, I would contract for 3-4 hours about 15-20 minutes apart, but only during the game and for a little bit after the game.  They were going pretty good during game 6.  She was even moving A LOT during games 5 and 6.  I was sure she would be joining us after the 6th game.  But no!  I had to sign her eviction notice and be induced the morning of game 7.  While it was a scheduled induction, the world series game was not why I was being induced - it is just a unique coincidence.  Well labor got going real good and actively strong right about the time the first pitch was being thrown.  She was born in the middle of the 4th inning.  We spent the rest of the evening learning each others quirks and getting to know each other and watching the end of the game and the coverage after.  (Since after she was born it was late and her daddy was exhausted we let him sleep.... the nurses were in and out of our room every hour throughout the night, so I was awake whether I wanted to be or not)  I told a few of my Cards fans friends and family that I may have inadvertently birthed a Cards fan, but I will do everything in my power to get her to like the right team!

BRING ON THE SEASON OPENER OF 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment