Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A "Great" Way to Start the Day!

There are some days when you know, "it can only get better from here, right?" I am having one of THOSE days - and it is only 10 am!

So I woke up a little after 8am to my daughter whimpering.  She was wet and hungry.  Ok, this is a daily thing, no biggie!  So I give her the binky, go toss the dirty diapers in the washing machine, and start it, and go pump.  (She refuses to latch properly and we have found that she is perfectly content with refusing to learn so that she can get her milk in the bottle - soooo much easier to eat from a bottle than from mom! Grrr)  Thus far, it is no different than any other day.  So I get her bottle all ready to go and change her.  (She also will not eat if her pants are dirty!)  As I am changing her my phone rings (of course, because it has to ring when I am busy!) and the number comes up 000-0000 on the caller ID (blocked number), so I don't think much of it, let it go to voice mail and continue on.  I put the diaper in it's pail, wash my hands, grab my daughter, the bottle, and my phone and sit on the edge of the bed to feed her.  She was pretty hungry and sucking the bottle down pretty quickly, so I thought, well lets see who called me and left a voice message.  So I call my voice mailbox, type in my code and hear, "Hello, this is Officer ______ from the sheriff's department." At this moment the thought crosses my mind, I am the ICE (in case of emergency) contact for 2 people for sure - my mom and my husband.  I know this because I am the one that set up both phones.  I let the bottle slip just a little and it hits the back of my poor daughter's very sensitive throat.  "One of our officers has found your (insert make and model of the car my husband drives) abandoned.  Please call us back if you get this message in the next 10-15 minutes."  It had been about that amount of time already.  As she is finishing up her message, my daughter has finished vomiting all over both of us.  I am not talking just a little spit up.  No, I am talking covered both her and I from neck down, coming out of her mouth and nose vomit.  There was not a dry article of clothing between the two of us.  My shirt, bra, pj pants, and even underwear were soaked.  You could have ringed out her little sleeper it was that wet.  GREAT!!  So at this moment I know a few things:

1.  The baby is getting a bath.

2. My husband is not a small man and he knows how to fight.  His work has even used him as a fill in "bouncer" on occasion.  No one in their right mind would intentionally pick a fight with him for no reason.

3.  My husband is out fishing.  He had talked about trying out a new location last week.  He probably unknowingly parked where he shouldn't have.

4.  My husband does not drive a car that most thieves would consider worthy of their time and energy to steal - especially during daylight hours.

5.  My husband has a bad habit of being bad at cell phone usage.  He will let the battery go dead.  He will leave it in odd places.  He will forget to change the ringer from silent to sound.

All these factors and my heart still skipped a beat and then rapidly sped up.  So I listened to the message again to get the number and called the dispatcher back.  She puts me on hold and comes back on the line and says, "Oh, one of our officers has made contact with your husband.  He was out fishing.  Have a nice day."  CLICK.  Thank you for telling me something I already knew.  So I strip the baby down to her birthday suit and run the bath water.  I know there is not going to be a lot of hot water because the washing machine is almost completely finished, but the little floating turtle says that the temperature is acceptable for baby bathing and she reeks of vomit.  So she gets cleaned up and a little play time in the water (her favorite thing to do).  I get her diapered and dressed and she was falling asleep, so I laid her back in bed.  So I jump in the shower - only to discover I get to take a tepid-cold shower.  Yeah!  Go ME!

So, how was your morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment