Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Promise to my Daughter

So I made a promise to my daughter (well and to her older brother too) before she was born that I would never take a video or picture of them that I wouldn't want to see repeated as a teenager.  Basically NO NAKED BABY PICTURES.  You can call me a prude, or whatever else you can come up with, but I have my reasons.

Why would I take a pass on such cute pictures you might ask?  Well I believe in this thing called modesty.  I believe kids are growing up too fast and being exposed to things way too early.  That being said, I do not see the point of pictures of naked (or diaper only) babies.  I have found that fully clothed, my kid is still pretty stinking cute (and warmer). 

I am enjoying dressing my child up in ridiculous outfits and taking her picture.  I figure these photos are a good substitute for the embarrassing naked baby pictures.  I mean, for heaven's sake, I put her in my Christmas stocking, took her picture, then sent it out to all of our families with the  caption "Our little stocking stuffer."  If she isn't completely embarrassed by that when she's 15, I don't know what else I could have done to make it worse.  :D

That being said, when she is 15 or older or younger, and comes to me trying to wear some ridiculous outfit that is not modest or posing stupidly in a picture (we pray neither happens, but just in case), we can pull out the baby photos and say, "Look, we gave you the gift of preserved modesty.  It is your job to take that gift and foster it."  Then I will just let her dad ground her until he feels she has learned her lesson and is willing to dress and act appropriately.

1 comment:

  1. What a great perspective! The gift of preserved modesty - awesome Heather!

    ReplyDelete