Saturday, February 25, 2012

Play date! And a true gift of friendship from God!

Ok, so I have to start this by saying that I am super excited about the opportunity to have play dates for my daughter with my friend Sarah and her 2 adorable boys and 1 very angelic little girl.

Sarah and I became friends because I am a persistent stalker!  This might sound a bit severe, but hey, sometimes the truth hurts.  We were both transfers to a nearby Catholic college (about an hour from both of our parent's homes - her to the NE and me to the SW)  She transferred from a different Catholic college to be closer to her family.  I transferred in to be at a Catholic college instead of the public university I was at.  I transferred in at the beginning of Fall semester while she came in the Spring.  This being said, since I was commuting to and from campus, I really didn't know anyone and when we both showed up to class freakishly early we got to talking.  She was shy and polite.  Like always, I WOULDN'T SHUT UP!  I am fairly confident she was thinking, "what kind of freak show is this girl?" (Not to mention I was on crutches for some moronic injury which only added to my spastic level!)  I don't know what it was (so I blame/give credit to God for my persistence in the matter), but something (or someone) told me that I had to befriend her.  I needed her in my life.  Well over the course of the semester we would always show up to class early and talk - sometimes about schoolwork, but usually about life in general.  The next semester we had a couple classes together, and the following, and so on.  Since we were in the same major, it made sense that we would be seeing each other often.

Fast forward three years to graduation day.  By now we were good friends - and have a couple "classic" (read:  neither can manage to keep eyes open and look "normal" when a camera is involved) pictures to celebrate the big event of moving on to the next step in our lives.  We were both engaged.  I had asked her to be a bride's maid in my wedding that would take place the following May.  She would get married before me in January.  Such a BEAUTIFUL bride she made and the service was amazing.  Well when it came to my wedding she was pregnant!  EEKK!!  Happy bride and even happier momma-to-be!  Although looking at her and at the pictures you would have never been able to tell she was about 3 1/2 months along.  (Although she maintains she had a little bump, I never saw it!)  So her little prince was born in late October 2006.  She would have another prince in November 2008.

When 2010 rolled around we were excited to discover that we were pregnant at the same time.  Our due dates were 1 week apart!  She was one of 6 other friends that was due within 2 months of my due date.  My child would have lots of play buddies.  Well, all that excitement came crashing to a halt when my son was still born in early December 2010.  Sarah was available with a very nice phone call, a very supportive email, and knowing her - prayers.  Loads of prayers.  Did I mention she is one of the most faith filled people!  Well when her daughter was born (a little fashionably late, but the day after my son was due), I was super excited because at least one of us would have a baby to hold/take care of.  By this point I knew I was pregnant again, but not telling anyone.  I knew I shouldn't spill the beans to her before the grandparents, but it nearly happened when I learned about her daughter's birth.  Sarah was one of the first people to comment about my pregnancy announcement and much to her joy and surprise my little angel arrived the day after her oldest son's birthday.  (The one that was in my wedding in his mama's belly).  :)  They are birthday buddies.

At our first play date, her two sons were AMAZING around my daughter.  So attentive and sweet!  I just wanted to pick them up, squeeze them, and clone them to take home because of how awesome they were.  Between those two boys and their daddy, Sarah's daughter's future courtiers have a huge mountain to climb!  Not to mention we hope to continue our play dates over the course of the following years so that our kids can grow up with awesome Catholic friends and her daughter doesn't have to be scarred for life by my daughter when they would meet in college)

So we have a play date with the 4 kids for a few hours.  I was greeted at the door by both of the boys peering out of the door smiling as big as can be.  My daughter got her first present from a boy not related to her (and her own age) - a beautiful drawing of her and a church.  HOW SWEET!!  So I put it in her baby book when we got home.  The adults got to talk (sometimes over my crying/teething baby).  The boys offered to share their toys with my daughter (HOW CUTE!).  There were loads of hugs and kisses.  (Yes, my daughter got her first kiss from a boy - her birthday buddy and his little brother both kissed her on the top of the head when their mom was feeding their little sister, but shhhhh, don't tell her)  I got to hold (for the few minutes she would let me) Sarah's daughter.  While it makes me sad to see how big my son would have been and what he could be accomplishing, the joy that my daughter brings outranks the sadness.  We did not do anything earth shattering.  It really was a go visit a friend and her kids, talk, have some lunch, and basically get out of the house kind of day.  But aren't those the best anyway?

I am soooo excited to see my friend who was sent from heaven again.  Living about 3 hours apart really stinks! 

Would my life have continued had Sarah realized my spastic nature and transferred out of that fateful class into one with "normal" students?  Yes.  Would it have been as colorful?  No.  I thank God for a friend like her who shows me what a good Catholic mom these days looks like.

2 comments:

  1. I'm speechless. I laughed during the first part and cried during the second part. I am grateful for your persistence because I too needed you in my life. So blessed, Heather - we are so blessed to have each other. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are blessed to have each other! We also both are no good at having our pictures taken! I am happy that I made you laugh and suspected you would tear up.

    ReplyDelete