Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Child Just Like You....

It seems all my friends are now blogging, so I have decided to join the bandwagon!  Why not?

So you might ask, what is up with the name of your blog?  My mom would always say "I hope you have a child just like you when you are old enough."  It was always said when I was doing something she found obnoxious, so it always seemed like a threat instead of a wish.  But here is what I think:

What kind of a mom did I have?  What would my child be like if I turned out like my mom?  My mom was always willing to do anything, short of illegal activities.  She would sacrifice her comfort for my sister and my comfort.  We always felt loved and safe.  So if my daughter feels safe, loved, and happy, I will feel like I have done a good job.  Now, I will be the last person to say that I was an angel to raise.  I was (and still am) pretty sassy and opinionated - so I am fully expecting that from my little angel.  I got in trouble, and expect that from my daughter.  I got dirty and made messes - yeah, I've met my daughter's dad - I expect to have to take the garden hose to clean up mud pie messes.

So in the end, if my child has a good life where she feels comfortable to express her personality and feels loved and safe, I will feel like I did a good job!

1 comment:

  1. I used to get this comment a lot as a kid. And I now have a child who is a lot like me. I see the challenges, but because he is a lot like me, I also "get" him. I think it's a blessing! Fantastic post to start your blog journey!

    ReplyDelete