Saturday, January 26, 2013

Learning not to compare

I suffer from a condition where I always feel like I am failing as a mom.  This has been made worse by my daughter's former pediatrician making me feel like a horrible mom because my daughter is off the charts tall and way below where she should be in the weight category.  She is tall and thin.  She doesn't look sickly and is very active - always walking and bouncing around.  So am I starving my kid, NO!!!  I mean what was God thinking when he gave me such a wonderful little kid?  I am forever comparing myself to friends I know with kids a little older than my daughter and in my head I don't measure up.  But I have been trying to figure out that not everyone is perfect and I need to stop being so hard on myself but when things like this happen...

So I was feeling especially exhausted a few days ago.  I had got home from work at my usual time (3am) and my daughter was WIDE awake.  Well since her dad had to work the next morning and I knew she wasn't going to go back to sleep anytime soon, so we went out to the living room (farthest we could get away from daddy so he could sleep) and couch for cuddle time.  She was awake until 530!  Talk about EXHAUSTED mommy.  She woke up a little later than her normal 10am - she waited until 1030.  Somehow those times don't add up.  2.5 hours of play time does not equal 30 minutes of sleep in time.  So in the morning she had created one very nasty diaper.  It was like road construction tar caked on her little tushy and wipes were NOT doing the trick.  So at my wits end I decided to sit her on the toilet and use the cloth diaper sprayer to get off the majority before giving her a bath.  Well the water coming out of the diaper sprayer is super cold and she DID NOT LIKE IT!!  Poor baby!!  But she did get a nice warm bath after with loads of play time.  The entire time she was screaming because her bottom was super cold I was crying and trying to calm her down.  As she was bathing I told her, "I know, I know, C's mom would never do this to her."  Later on when she was happy because she got loads of play time in warm water I was reflecting on what happened and said to my little lady, "well yeah, C's mama might do it.  I wouldn't put it past her to let her boys play in the mud then hose them down on the back porch before letting them come in the house too."  Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to keep your life sane. 

At the end of the day I have the happiest kid I know.  She is fed, changed and safe.  So I am doing ok, right?

1 comment: