Saturday, July 14, 2012

Welcoming committee chair in training

The little lady and I recently went to daily mass on a Friday at her Godfather's parish (and yes he was the presiding pastor).  Well I didn't realize that NO ONE uses the "front" door of the parish and that everyone comes through the side door (stage left).  Well we sat in the second to the front row where everyone would have to walk past us.  I had her standing on the pew in front of me while I was kneeling in prayer (yes, I was holding on to her) and I couldn't figure out why it seemed like she was acting like a washing machine on the agitation cycle, so I opened my eyes and watched her.  As each person walked in the door she would make eye contact, smile, and follow him/her to the respective seat choice to see if the person would smile at her.  If she got a smile as her chosen target walked through the door, she would flap her "wings" (arms) and wait for the next person to walk through the door.  Each person was welcomed with a huge smile - one that was irresistible.

Well today in mass (at our "home" parish) she decided to attempt to bring joy to everyone around us.  There was a grumpy lady seated behind us.  The little lady tried to play peek-a-boo, smile, giggle, and generally be adorable.  While it didn't work to make the lady smile, everyone else in the rows behind us were smiling and enjoying her "antics".  I even had an older gentleman came up to me after the recessional to tell me how much he enjoyed watching my happy baby. 

Give it a couple years and she will be the church's welcoming committee chair person!

No comments:

Post a Comment